Job Title: Boarding Houseparent Job Reference: 526
Job Type: 27 hours per week (plus overtime) 39 weeks a year
A very exciting opportunity has arisen at a well though after Grammar school to recruit a Boarding Houseparent .This is a busy and diverse role; the ideal candidate will be warm and kind, enjoys working with young people, ideally has First Aid certificate and happy to drive a small mini bus. A good level of safeguarding knowledge and experience in s similar role would be adventitious. Graduate opportunity also available!
Key Duties and Responsibilities
· The smooth running of the Boarding facility.
· To collect pupils from school who are unwell and bring them back to the Boarding House to supervise and look after them.
· To supervise during the evenings
· To help with Borders’ activities during the evenings and at the weekend if on duty.
· To drive pupils to and from activities after school.
· To provide a sympathetic presence in the house and to be sensitive to those who are having difficulties coping with school life.
Health & Medical
· To be a qualified first aider (also Paediatric First Aid), administer first aid when needed in an emergency and attend hospital where necessary.
· To be qualified to administer non-prescription medication under the supervision of the Head of Boarding, as per recommended guidelines given by the Doctor. To ensure records are kept of what medication was given, how much and why.
· As a minimum hold a First Aid at Work qualification or higher; training will be given if necessary.
When on overnight duty
· To monitor the hygiene of the pupils and encourage good daily hygiene practices including showering, washing etc.
· At meal times, to monitor pupil behaviour and promote good table manners, ensure all pupils are eating properly.
· To supervise the bedtime routine and ensure all pupils are in bed and lights turned out at the correct times.
· At the end of the evening shift to check the communal areas are left tidy.
· To wake all pupils at the correct time and ensure they are awake and at breakfast on time.
· To ensure all pupils leave the Boarding House on time for the minibuses and ensure rooms are left tidy and all washing is brought down to the laundry.
· To check the dormitories are left tidy and all laundry is brought down each morning.
· To ensure tables are laid for breakfast and tea as per the pupil rotas.
· To ensure the pupil kitchen is cleaned as per the pupil rotas.
· To ensure the front entrance hall is tidy and no pupil belongings are left in there at any time.
When on afternoon duty
· Greet pupils back from school and supervise afternoon drinks and biscuits at 15:45 pm.
· To register pupils on arrival back at the Boarding House.
· To have supper with the Boarders
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
· Essential for the post-holder to have GCSE or equivalent in Maths, English or equivalent level.
· Knowledge of all Microsoft Applications is desirable
· Experience in dealing with difficult situations where the need for diplomacy, assertiveness and initiative is required
· Good organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure
· Flexible attitude
· Ability to work as part of a team
· Driving license
· Contact with students and their parents/carers, other employees at the School.
· Liaise with professionals under the supervision/guidance of the Headmaster and/or Strategic Managers, as appropriate.
· Success applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau check.
If you are a good team player with the above skills, great attention to details, hard working with a passion to succeed. Please send your CV with covering letter stating why you are the right person to fill this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org